June movie reviews
In theaters: KARATE KID: LEGENDS This movie is a little bit of a bait and switch. It's marketed as being a merging of new and old KK movies, with Jackie Chan and Ralph Macchio teaming up to help teach a kid to fight. But it only becomes that late in the film. The rest of the movie is unceasingly formulaic but charming enough. Made me very hungry for pizza, too. BALLERINA Do we need a John Wick spinoff? Not really. But do we need Ana de Armas in everything? Oh yes! This movie is more of the same from this franchise, so it's more elaborate action scenes with lots of gun-fu. More assassin underworld world building. And like the 1st Wick, it's a straight-up revenge story. I would say that the freshness isn't there, but the action delivers big time, including a glorious finale involving flamethrowers. And de Armas is a fucking star. I don't know how that could be disputed. I'm not quite sure this did well enough to keep it going, but I need more of her in action mov...
Being struck by lightning is too good for them.
ReplyDelete